ADVOCACY/DEVELOPMENT SPECIALISTFor over 50 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northwestern Michigan (Bigs) has developed and supported one-to-one mentoring relationships for over 15,000 children, changing outcomes one child at a time. Through our commitment to quality and innovation, our team develops, nurtures, supervises, and sustains caring and supportive, life-changing relationships between adult mentors (Bigs) and youth (Littles). Bigs is looking for an individual who thrives in a growing organization dedicated to positively impacting youth through high-quality mentoring relationships. The Advocacy/Development Specialist will maintain a consistent presence in both Charlevoix and Emmet Counties to develop, cultivate, and steward relationships with individuals and community and business leaders. The optimal candidate will present and advocate for Bigs’ Mission and possess the ability to inspire individuals to financially support this critical mission.
This position will provide key leadership to Bigs through administration and coordination of the organization’s fund development program and, to a lesser extent, its programming. Bigs is experiencing tremendous growth and, therefore, the volume and variety of work will be challenging and must be met with enthusiasm, professionalism, and flexibility. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and possess the ability to anticipate upcoming priorities to effectively manage between a broad range of duties.
- Donor Relations
- Actively develop and manage a growing donor portfolio through donor cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Create presentations and attend donor meetings.
- Ensure a client-centered approach by stewarding potential prospects and maintaining quality customer service at levels that meet or exceed expectations of donors, businesses, and community partners.
- Ability to create and implement strategies for expanding existing relationships and engaging new partners.
- Track and maintain pledge agreements and donation reminders for individual and corporate donors.
- Coordinate donor cultivation and stewardship activities and events.
- Annual Giving
- Manage solicitation mailings including creating mailing segments, executing mail merges and working with the Administrative Specialist to complete the mailing.
- Draft and edit solicitation letters.
- CRM Management
- Process and acknowledge donations in a timely manner.
- Maintain donor data integrity by keeping records in CRM system and fund development tracking tool accurate and up to date.
This is a high visibility position within the community, requiring professionalism, character, and integrity beyond reproach. This position will require membership and engagement in various community and charitable clubs on a regular basis.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, experience in sales, communication, marketing or community development.
- Must have strong presentation skills.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills reflecting outstanding customer service.
- Proficiency in agency database and Microsoft Office with an emphasis on Word and Excel, as well as Google.
- High degree of confidentiality, discretion and judgement.
- Integrity, honesty and ethical decision making.
- Actively engage and promote Bigs’ mission and values to donors, volunteers, businesses, and community.
- Able to thrive in a fast-paced environment, working both independently and as a team member, and successfully manage shifting priorities and responsibilities.
- Able to work evening and weekend hours, manage a flexible schedule and travel occasionally.
- Must have reliable transportation and be able to cover a large geographic area to include Charlevoix and Emmet Counties.
- Must have and maintain a valid US driver’s license along with an exemplary driving record. Employment is contingent upon the results of a comprehensive background check, reference checks and driving record check.
- Fundraising for the non-profit sector, including cultivating individual donors, and building and developing relationships with corporations and foundations.
- Using fundraising channels with particular focus on major donors and campaigns.
- Working knowledge of donor database software or other customer-service based software.
If this sounds like the organization and position for you, please submit a cover letter and resume to Cecilia Chesney, CEO, Cecilia.firstname.lastname@example.org with “Advocacy/Development Specialist” in the subject line.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities and required skills. Contents may be subject to change to meet the needs of Big Brothers Big Sisters of Northwestern Michigan.